gnome: switch workspaces via command line?

More of a gnome question, but I've seen those posted to the list before...

Is there a way to control the workspace switcher from the command line? I'd like to have a tool that would essentially let me do:

gnome-switching-tool --switch-to-right-workspace

and

gnome-switching-tool --switch-to-left-workspace

I'm aware of 3ddesk and use it in this fashion. I'd like to find a gnome-only alternative tool.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
If you don't know the truth, you will believe anything. -- Eric Simmons