Re: mutt with exim4 smtp smarthost rejects mail

At 1144658383 past the epoch, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 05:19:11PM +0200, Alex wrote:
> > OK, I managed to send via mutt. Thanks!
> >
> > It worked when I set both from and envelop_from to my
> > gmail address.  I guess my ISP is doing something clever
> > by checking that the sender email address actually
> > exists...?
>
> I don't use gmail, but they are probably checking to make
> sure its a gmail email going through its servers. some
> servers check this stuff and some don't.

Gmail are early adopters of Sender Policy Framework (SPF): a
system which locks down which machines are permitted to send
mail porporting to originate from gmail.com. You can see the
machines that are permitted by grokking

	$ dig gmail.com txt

My advice is to make sure your mail server uses a real,
routable address for the envelope and EHLO etc., and only
stick gmail in your From: line.

Find out more about SPF at <http://www.openspf.org/>.

--
Jon Dowland