Re: What's wrong with X forwarding / remote X logins?

<posted & mailed>

Hello Christian,

I'm doing remote X over ssh all the day without your described problems, so
something seems to be broken with your setup/applications.

Christian Pernegger wrote:

> I hadn't used X for anything but local logins in a few years, but back
> in the day X forwarding or logging in on another machine worked fine,
> so I did a test install of Debian testing. Only to find that remote X
> does not seem to work reliably anymore.

Hmm, who knows what is broken in testing. Can you repeat with Sarge? My
private system is running Sid, though, but I never experienced your
problems.

> X forwarding of single apps via ssh:
> - win32 (wine) programs crash on startup
> - cinepaint crashes when I try to access the file menu
> - rest is hit or miss

Sorry, I have not much experience with wine, but at least 5 years ago I had
the same problems with MSOffice in wine. Don't know anything about
cinepait.

> remote X login:
> - win32 (wine) programs cause the whole screen to go black.
> - cinepaint seems to work
> - firefox repeatedly crashed the machine where the xserver was running.

What does that mean exactly? If not only X, but the hole machine gets a
problem, either your machine has a hardware bug or X related kernel modules
(dri or vendor kernel modules) crash your system. Whats your xorg.conf?
Have you tried to disable dri or accelleration at all?

> - trying to log in the same user locally leads to about half of
> gnome's icons to be broken. (does gnome not support concurrent logins
> of the same user?)

Hmm, no experience with gnome. With kde this should work. However, at work
I'm often running kde from main system (sarge) and from chroot (sid) and
kde doesn't like that much.

> Is X11's network transparency a thing of the past and not supposed to

Certainly not. X over networking is really important.

> work anymore? Have I configured something wrongly? Should bugs be
> reported left, right and center?
>
> At this point I'm thinking of restoring the Windows backups but I do
> have a few days to play with this.

Please post your xorg.conf and try to modify it. If your are using a
proprietary nvidia or ati driver, please test native X drivers first.
If you are already using native X drivers try to disable as much
acceleration as you can and/or also try a vesa driver.

Btw, why did you choose Testing?

Cheers,
Bernd