What's wrong with X forwarding / remote X logins?

Hi!

Recently I setup a new machine that was to have GUI remote login and
control. The machine had previously been running Windows XP and
TightVNC but was getting a little Cygwin happy and nobody was too
happy with VNC blocking the local display.

I hadn't used X for anything but local logins in a few years, but back
in the day X forwarding or logging in on another machine worked fine,
so I did a test install of Debian testing. Only to find that remote X
does not seem to work reliably anymore.

X forwarding of single apps via ssh:
- win32 (wine) programs crash on startup
- cinepaint crashes when I try to access the file menu
- rest is hit or miss

remote X login:
- win32 (wine) programs cause the whole screen to go black.
- cinepaint seems to work
- firefox repeatedly crashed the machine where the xserver was running.
- trying to log in the same user locally leads to about half of
gnome's icons to be broken. (does gnome not support concurrent logins
of the same user?)

Is X11's network transparency a thing of the past and not supposed to
work anymore? Have I configured something wrongly? Should bugs be
reported left, right and center?

At this point I'm thinking of restoring the Windows backups but I do
have a few days to play with this.

Thanks,

C.