Re: nVidia drivers

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
I have exactly the same card. And neither the 8* series nor 7174 will work! But download 7167 and that one *will* load! Try it!

I run a two seater Debian: 2 monitors/keyboards/mice. One monitor on an AGP TNT2 and the other on a PCI MX-440. The TNT2 is superior in everything *except* 3D acceleration! Who cares! (Except if you're a gamer and then get on the MX-440 monitor) Better colors, no shadows. Even the MX-440 I had to change with that damn fan on it: put a heatsink on it. Those nVidia fans start screaming after a few months!

So to state the obvious:
1. download the 7167 driver.
2. If you have < 2.6.16 just run NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7167-pkg1.run
3. If you have >= 2.6.16 you need to patch the latter with NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-8178-1444349.diff.txt 4. Make sure you have the right kernel headers for your kernel! He wants those and he will surely tell you if he doesn't find them! 5. If the kernel headers are there he *will* compile and *will* install for your TNT2 card. And X *will* start with the nvidia driver!

Thanks, Hugo! The README said this driver would work for TNT2s... I'll go get the 7167... :)
PS. This nVidia game is ridiculous of course, but the world lives by it, silly world. This quote from the Con Kolivas kernel (which I use: 2.6.16-ck4) list:
( here: http://bhhdoa.org.au/pipermail/ck/2006-April/005782.html )