Re: Poor glxgears perfomance with unstable and radeon 7500

jf wrote:
Hi,
I can't achieve to get good performance from my ati radeon 7500.
All should work fine but, when running glxgears, the gears are rotating really slowly.
Here are the output :
 > glxgears
8036 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1607.024 FPS
8043 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1608.572 FPS
8036 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1607.084 FPS
8038 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1607.485 FPS
8048 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1609.462 FPS
8046 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1609.169 FPS

what is surprising me is that glxinfo says DRI is working :
 > glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes

I don't understand what's going on...
Please help !

Your graphics performance is fine, you get around 1600 frames per
second. You have to distinguish between the rotation speed, which is
determined by how the animation was programmed, and the capabilities of
hardware + driver, which limit how many times per second the three
objects can be redrawn on the screen. Also don't forget that your eyes
can deceive you when you are looking at rotating objects, for example
the wheels of cars in old movies which can appear to turn backwards at
times.

If you want a more direct visual impression of your direct rendering,
install the package "planetpenguin-racer" and send Tux down some steep
slopes.

Regards,
           Florian