Re: AudioCD mount kernel 2.6.16-1

Mirco Piccin wrote:

> Can anyone help me? A world without music is like a world
> without...opensource!!

Totally!

> I'm running a Kernel 2.6.16-1, and i've this problem:
> I'm not able to play audiocd! :-(
>
> Before upgrade kernel i remember there was not problem.
> Now, if i insert audiocd, dmseg tell me something like:
>  hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>  hdc: command error: error=0x51 { IllegalLengthIndication
> LastFailedSense=0x05 }
>  ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>  end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
>  isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16

This error happens if you try to _mount_ an audio CD. I have never seen
it happen while trying to play an audio CD.

> ..and if i try to mount it:
>  mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
>        missing codepage or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so
>
> Yes, i know:
> - it is not possible to mount audiocd as normal cd (iso9660), and i've read
> somewhere that

You indeed cannot. An audio CD has no file system on it, only raw analog
data.

> - i need the cdfs-src package,
> but in any repository i'm looking for i'm not able to found the right one
> for my kernel.

I was not aware of CDfs before, but it seems to be quite complicated and
would not recommend messing with it if you are not an expert (or close
enough). It is an interesting project, but you do not need it to play
audio CDs. I suggest you remove it, at least until your original problem
is solved.

You provided little information, so please answer my questions:

 1. How are you trying to play a CD? Please explain it step by step.
 2. Were you able to play CDs the _same_ way before kernel 2.6.16-1?
 3. Are you able to use data (iso9660) CDs?
 4. Do all audio CDs fail?
 5. Can you play audio files? Does sound work in general?
 6. Have you upgraded anything else besides the kernel?

At the meantime, here are some things that you should look at:

 1. Assuming that you use ALSA, check if CD sound is not muted in
"alsamixer". It is in "alsa-utils" package.
 2. Try installing "cdtool" package and playing an audio CD with
"cdplay". You will not see any output on the terminal, but you should
hear sound. If you do, it works.
 3. Run "cdinfo -v" while an audio CD is in the drive. Does it show
something like "no-status 0 56:35.20  0:01.66" (it works), or "no_disc"
(does not work).
 4. Install "setcd" package and run "setcd -i". Does it see your CD?

Good luck.