external to internal email

I 'm inquiring about how/best way to get email from external hosts to an
inside email server.
1)would it be fetchmailed to a folder-sorted to user mbox? or the
internal server pull the email in another way.

Nothing is set up as of yet.  Mixed enviroment- some win$xp and rest
are  Debian boxes.

Reason behind this is because some users have to have acces to the same
email account, without deleting email that the others need.

I found some info on debian-administration but for virtual hosts, i just
may not be thinking this though correctly.

how-to's or other links appreciated.