Re: Is it possible to simply copy the kernel from one machine to another and use it?

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:01:08PM +0200, Joris Huizer wrote:
> Yu,Glen [Ontario] wrote:
> >I was wondering if it's possible to copy the vmlinuz-x.y.z from one
> >machine to another and have the other machine run properly with it.
  <snip>
> You'll also need to copy the modules for kernel x.y.z
> (/lib/modules/x.y.z )- you also assume the machines are similar enough
> to be supported with the same kernel (for a distribution kernel this is
> probably valid -

Probably doesn't have to be said, but this also assumes the same
architecture.  A mips kernel would probably not work on an i386 machine
(unless I'm mistaken in how generic the distribution kernels are--I
build my own).

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
I have a hard time being attracted to anyone who can beat me up.