Re: Is it possible to simply copy the kernel from one machine to another and use it?

Christopher Nelson wrote:
On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:01:08PM +0200, Joris Huizer wrote:

Yu,Glen [Ontario] wrote:

I was wondering if it's possible to copy the vmlinuz-x.y.z from one machine to another and have the other machine run properly with it.

<snip>
You'll also need to copy the modules for kernel x.y.z (/lib/modules/x.y.z )- you also assume the machines are similar enough to be supported with the same kernel (for a distribution kernel this is probably valid -

Probably doesn't have to be said, but this also assumes the same
architecture.  A mips kernel would probably not work on an i386 machine
(unless I'm mistaken in how generic the distribution kernels are--I
build my own).

It'd be *really* cool if linux & gcc/as somehow manage to produce code that is meaningfull on different architectures ;-)
<I think writing such code would be a total nightmare>

regards,

Joris