Re: tex broken

David Wainberg wrote:
Thank you for your response.

Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

The same version of pdfetex works fine for me. (Debian Sid, "tetex-bin"
package version 3.0-16)

Yes, I am using the same version.

Did you try to specify the full path explicitly,
starting from root, e.g. "latex /home/username/directory/template.tex"?

Good idea. I did so, and it worked...but, then proceeded to request
the paths of every tex component it needed to compile the file.

I have the suspicion that something is screwed up in the search paths of
your tex installation. You could try to reconfigure or reinstall the
tetex packages and "libkpathsea3" or "libkpathsea4". (I don't know any
specifics about the texlive packages, unfortunately.)

I have purged and reinstalled everything tex related (that I know of),
including libkpathsea4, but the problem persists. What else might
effect the tex search paths?

I do not know the details of latex/tetex that well, but I can suggest a
few more things to try:

1) Can root run "latex template.tex" without errors? If it is a problem
of environmental variables, it might even make a difference if you use
su or if you log in as root on a console. You could also try to generate
a new user and see if latex behaves differently when you log in as that
user.

2) Run "mktexlsr" as root. This should make tex rebuild its index of
files. Does the behavior change after that, do you get any informative
error messages?

3) "env | grep -i tex" will tell you if you have any environmental
variables which might affect the behavior of tex.

4) As root, run "texconfig-sys conf > texconfig.txt". This will save
information about your tex configuration in the file "texconfig.txt". I
have just pasted my output to http://pastebin.com/644517
You can use the download link to save my version and compare it to yours
with "diff". Maybe that will turn up something.

5) "kpsewhere" will tell you where tex finds certain files. You can run
"kpsewhere article.cls", for example, to see if your tex knows where to
find the class file for articles. Again I am hoping that you might get
an error message which gives us a clue.

Regards,
           Florian