Re: xorg config-problem -- no mouse (on laptop with synaptics touchpad)

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 03:33:48AM -0400, Andrew Cady wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:00:52AM +0200, Søren Christensen wrote:
> > I just made an dist-upgrade from Sarge to Etch. I switched from
> > XFree86 to Xorg, but it will not start.
>
> [...]
>
> > No core pointer
> >
> > The problem seems to be the mouse or touchpad. The computer is a laptop
> > (Compaq Presario 2100), no mouse connected. Before dist-upgrade there was
> > no problem.
>
> from XF86Config-4(5x):
>
>    Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"  "boolean"
> 	  This allows the server to start up even if the mouse
> 	  device can't be opened/initialised.  Default: false.
>
> True should definitely be the default, but it's not, so you have to put
> it in there.

Where do I put that option? In the /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?

Like this:
Section "Serverflags"
    AllowMouseOpenFail  "true"
EndSection

I thougt that one should not edit xorg.conf by hand, but I didn't see a
posibility to add it in dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

/Severino