changing group names

Hi,

This may be common knowledge but it was news to me.

I have lets say three partitions:
1 home partition and 2 Sarge partitions. These refer to the home partition.

Examining the home files for group names you might notice that they differ depending on what partition root is on.

I examine /home/joe and it's user:group may be joe:joe from one root partition but mary:mary from the other.

You straighten it out with:
chown -R joe:joe /xxx/.../home/joe

But everytime you switch root partitions you have to do that.

Must mean that group names refer to indices and not actual names?