Re: Trouble Installing nvidia-graphics-driver on Etch

Florian Kulzer wrote:
Vegard L. Rekaa wrote:
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID" does not exist.
(WW) The NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro GPU installed in this
(WW)      system is supported through the NVIDIA Legacy drivers.
(WW)      Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for
(WW)      more information.  The 1.0-8178 NVIDIA driver will ignore
(WW)      this GPU.  Continuing probe...
(EE) No devices detected.

That is the problem: You older graphics card is not supported by the new
nvidia driver (version 8178) which you have installed. You need to
install the legacy driver (version 7174). You can either get it directly
from the nvidia site and install it with the script that they provide,
or if you want to install it the Debian way, you need to change the
process slightly and replace "nvidia-kernel-source" with
"nvidia-kernel-legacy-source" to get the correct version of the driver.

Regards,
           Florian

I had similar messages when I tried to install the nvidia driver.  Would
the 7174 version work with my card?

nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15)

I got lost at the nvidia site with all the different versions. Couldn't find one that said it supported my card.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo: