Re: Trouble Installing nvidia-graphics-driver on Etch

Vegard L. Rekaa wrote:
Hi again,
When I try to start X, I return to console after ~3 seconds of blank screen.

The system itself does not hang.

To answer Tony; the nv driver works great but it seems like the graphicscard

contains some visual error (the image is filled with dots and lines during
movies)
so I'm hoping the nvidia driver will fix it.
I didn't know of debians documtation on this. I'll read this today!

Florian: here are the outputs you asked for, plus startx's output:

Thanks for the help guys, cheers Vegard.
# modprobe nvidia
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.15-1-486/nvidia/nvidia.ko):
No s uch device
# egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID" does not exist.
(WW) The NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro GPU installed in this
(WW)      system is supported through the NVIDIA Legacy drivers.
(WW)      Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for
(WW)      more information.  The 1.0-8178 NVIDIA driver will ignore
(WW)      this GPU.  Continuing probe...
(EE) No devices detected.

That is the problem: You older graphics card is not supported by the new
nvidia driver (version 8178) which you have installed. You need to
install the legacy driver (version 7174). You can either get it directly
from the nvidia site and install it with the script that they provide,
or if you want to install it the Debian way, you need to change the
process slightly and replace "nvidia-kernel-source" with
"nvidia-kernel-legacy-source" to get the correct version of the driver.

Regards,
           Florian