Re: How often should I fsck my ext3 partition?

On Apr 05 2006, Ali Milis wrote:
> Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> > The debian default of my sarge installations is that the ext3-FS are
> > fsck'ed about every 30 mounts or 180 days (whatever comes first).
>
> This is just my  Euro 0.01 opinion:
>
> 180 days is reasonable for new disks.

Except that the kernel can have bugs that may corrupt the
data-structures laid on disk.

> Perhaps you would like to lower it when your disk goes old.

Almost all data goes cached before going onto the disk. Your memory mal
malfunction also independently of your disk.

These are just *some* of a long list of reasons to check your disks with
some regularity. And being on the safe side is, of course, not a bad idea.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/