Re: Unable to write reliably CD-RW's!

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 05:20 am, G.C.H.M. Verhaag wrote this for perusal by us
all:
>---> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>--->
>---> > G.C.H.M. Verhaag wrote:
>---> >
>---> >>  Dear debian-user,
>---> >>
>---> >> As a Linux user I experience serious trouble writing CD-RW's. Let me
>---> >> give some insight info regarding my system (Debian GNU/Linux 3.1
>---> >> "Sarge" rev0a (kernel 2.4.27)):
>---> >>
>---> >> The command 'cdrecord -v -scanbus' yields the following output:
>---> >>
>---> >> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2004 ---> >> J?rg Schill
>---> >> ing
>---> >> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release
> of ---> >> cdrecord
>---> >> and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
>---> >> Please send bug reports and support requests to
>---> >> <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
>---> >> The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
>---> >> version.
>---> >>
>---> >> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
>---> >> Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
>---> >> scsibus0:
>---> >> 0,0,0 0) 'LITE-ON ' 'LTR-24102B ' '5S0D' Removable CD-ROM
>---> >> 0,1,0 1) *
>---> >> 0,2,0 2) *
>---> >> 0,3,0 3) *
>---> >> 0,4,0 4) *
>---> >> 0,5,0 5) *
>---> >> 0,6,0 6) *
>---> >> 0,7,0 7) *
>---> >>
>---> >> I use the following CD-RW's: Philips 700MB (80minutes) 1-4x
>---> >>
>---> >> .......
>---> >>
>---> >
>---> > I would replace the CD-RW device you have. You did not mention what
> it ---> > is.
>---> >
>---> > H
>--->
>---> Hi Hugo,
>--->
>---> Well in fact it is shown by the cdrecord -scanbus command; this output
>---> is given above! It is A LITE-ON LTR-24102B ver 5S0D.
>--->
>---> Well, I don't have a new one at my disposal, and to be honest I would
>---> like to understand why it is not working properly. How can I ever trust
>---> writing CD's under Linux, when THE tool to use for it, cdrecord,
> doesn't ---> generate clear error messages! Sorry, but it becomes something
> like ---> gambling, doesn't it?!
>--->
>---> Add to this that I'm a novice when it comes to replacing hardware, and
>---> having to reinstall everything again is rather tricky, because I'm
>---> unable to make backups of my files on CD, due to the problem of writing
>---> CD's.
> [...]

I use only Lite-On CD/DVD burners, internal and USB external, in and plugged
in, on desktops and laptops, and they work with Linux. Have always done, so
when on a good thing, I stick to it.

But in Debian they don't work with the 2.4xxx kernel with K3B, and scsi
emulation make no difference other than vanishing the external device. It
seems that growisofs eats the device if scsi emulation is used. There are
some things on the Internet about this. K3B use eats the external USB Lite-On
because /etc/fstab lists it as an scsi device.

I cannot understand the growisofs way of creating a DVD, [more reading
required] so burn CD's as backups. XCDRoast works a treat without any
problems. Especially on the external Lite-On device.

That may or may not help.....

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Brilliant Debian Sarge 3.1