Unable to write reliably CD-RW's!

 Dear debian-user,

As a Linux user I experience serious trouble writing CD-RW's. Let me give some insight info regarding my system (Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 "Sarge" rev0a (kernel 2.4.27)):

The command 'cdrecord -v -scanbus' yields the following output:

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J?rg Schill
ing
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'LITE-ON ' 'LTR-24102B ' '5S0D' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *

I use the following CD-RW's: Philips 700MB (80minutes) 1-4x

I've used eight of these CD's and, only ONE could be read on both the CD-writer and seperate CD-ROM unit on the system that was used to actually burn the CD.

On another e.g. standalone Linux-based system (Debian "Woody") the mount of the CD's fails and gives the following well-known message:

Drivemount command failed. "mount /cdrom 2>&1" reported: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom, or too many mounted file systems

I've tried to blank (-blank=all) several of them completely using cdrecord. Reburning these CD-RW while using both 'cdrecord' on-the-fly with mkisofs and seperate by first building the iso-image always fails, without any hints from cdrecord! I re/write/blank the CD's with -speed=2! While burning only GNOME is running on my system, and of course an x-window to run the cdrecord-command from.

By the way, I use grub as boot-loader. In the file /boot/grub/menu.lst I added hdc=scsi at the end of the following line:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-386 root=/dev/hda3 ro

Should that perhaps be hdc=ide-scsi?

I'm quite desperate when it comes to burning CD's on my system. Please can anybody assist in tackling this problem? Thanks.

Regards,
Gerard

--
G.C.H.M. Verhaag