Re: Using Ubuntu when I'm used to Debian.

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 06:19 -0600, Hodgins Family wrote:
> Hi Phillipe:
>
> One issue that comes up is the way Ubuntu uses the sudo command.
> During installation, newcomers (with prior experience in Linux) are
> caught off guard when they are not asked to set up a root account and
> password. It can be unnerving. A root password CAN be set up, though.
> And tasks that newcomers may have used the root account for in the past
> can also be done *by issuing the sudo command as a user*.
> As an example to make a root password:
> 	As a user, enter a terminal and type:
> 	sudo passwd root
> 	Ubuntu thinks it over and then asks for your user password...
>
> To alter the fstab file
> 	As user, enter a terminal and type:
> 	sudo vi /etc/fstab
> 	Ubuntu ask for your user password...
>
> It seems a bit twisted compared to other systems and some people 	are
> steamed by it.

Yes, I forgot about that one. The first time I installed Ubuntu this was
the case, but I quickly had to reinstall (not because of Ubuntu) and
since then I use the expert-setup (boot options of the install cdrom).
This way you are asked to setup a root password like other distro's. So
if you're experienced with debian, expert-setup won't be a problem!

I've used Debian before too (a few years) and the plug and play support
in Ubuntu is really great. Even my USB-scanner which is not officially
supported works just fine.

On servers I still prefer Debian because I feel I'm slightly more in
control (mainly package dependencies) than with Ubuntu.

Another difference might be the repositories (universe, multiverse) but
that one is quite easy to figure out using the excellent ubuntu forums.

Philippe