Re: macromedia flash plugin for firefox?

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 12:10 +0100, Doofus wrote:
> Sridhar M.A. wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 11:20:05AM +0100, Doofus wrote:
> >   >
> >   > >
> >   > >I've downloaded "install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz" from
> >   > >macromedia.com, installed Takuo's "flashplugin-nonfree" package with
> >   > >dependecies (ruby, debconf), then ran the "update-flashplugin" script.
> >   > >All as root.
> >   > >
> >   > >
> >   > >Nothing...
> >   > >
> >   > >The firefox browser reports "No plug-ins are installed".
> >

> >   > Sorry I didn't finish properly.
> >   >
> >   > I'm running sarge. The during installation aptitude and
> >   > update-flashplugin report:
> >   >
> >   >    Setting up flashplugin-nonfree (7.0.25-5) ...
> >   >    I: checking http://macromedis.rediris.es/tarball/debian/ ...
> >   >    No new version is detected. ( = Not installed)
> >   >
> >   > And the actual plugin file isn't on the machine anywhere.
> >   >
> >   >
> >   > I'm mystified because I got this working fine a couple of weeks ago on a
> >   > similar machine.
> >   > Can anyone please advise?
> >

> >Not exactly an answer, but why don't you install
> >flashplayer-mozilla_7.0.61.0-0.1_i386.deb from ftp.nerim.net. That sets
> >up things correctly.
> >

> Not at all the answer I wanted but still much appreciated. After
> removing "flashplugin-nonfree", which conflicted, that works perfectly.
>
> I'd love to understand why the debian system method doesn't work though.
> Clearly it'd be nicer to have a script you can run occasionally that
> checks for and installs updated plugins with little interaction. The
> output message above from the update-flashplugin script suggests it's
> decided there's already a flash player installed, but this is a newly
> built machine with virtually nothing done to it yet except a newly built
> kernel, X and WindowMaker.

Put this in your sources.list:
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sid main

Adjust for sid or testing as to your system needs.
# apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

You'll get flashplugin-nonfree 7.0.63.1 that works perfectly.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Sometime they'll give a war and nobody will come."
Carl Sandburg
Oh, come on. Sure they will. That's what testosterone is for...