Re: du and df Used Space Inconsistent On Fresh Install

In list.debian.user you write:

>I've just done a fresh install of Sarge 3.1r1 on an 8Gb partition on
>an i386 machine here, basic packages only (no "tasks"), and on
>checking space usage before proceeding I'm somewhat bemused by the
>fact that du and df radically disagree on how much space has been used
>so far.

>In *single-user* mode :

># df
>Filesystem      1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>/dev/hda8         8354340    343808   7491140   5% /

># du -sk /
>835383

>df says ~340Mb used
>du says ~830Mb used
>that's quite a difference ....

Doinig a du from / is going to include all filesystems, not just
/dev/hda8. In particular /proc is going to be included and as the size
of /proc/kcore is equal to the amount of memory in the box, that could
add a sizable chunk to the difference.

Try:
# du -skx /

The -x restricts du to one file system.