Re: du and df Used Space Inconsistent On Fresh Install

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 18:41:18 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 02:13:03 +0100
> > Nick Boyce <nick@glimmer.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > I've just done a fresh install of Sarge 3.1r1 on an 8Gb partition on
> > > an i386 machine here, basic packages only (no "tasks"), and on
> > > checking space usage before proceeding I'm somewhat bemused by the
> > > fact that du and df radically disagree on how much space has been used
> > > so far.

[...]
> still, is that you're compelte df output below?

> > > # df
> > > Filesystem      1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> > > /dev/hda8         8354340    343808   7491140   5% /

No - there's one more line, which didn't seem relevant :

tmpfs              258304         0    258304   0% /dev/shm

Remember: this is a fresh install, basic packages only, no Samba or
NFS, in *one* disk partition, no LVM, just one filesystem, so no
subsidiary filesystems mounted hiding parts of /.

It's about as simple and untweaked as can be.

Later on, after I've fiddled around a lot with the system, I probably
wouldn't have noticed such an inconsistency .... but right now it
stands out like a sore thumb.

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--