Re: kanotix HD installation

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:41:54 +0800
"Rocky Ou" <rocky2winnie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey... Really thank you very much for all of your replies! espesically the
> link you posted there are quite helpfull:) I'm going to try testing version.

Becky, I managed to install testing from the DVD image, so I might be
able to help (in case you haven't taken the plunge and already done so;
I'm a bit behind in reading anyway).

> [i386<http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/jigdo-cd/>]

Those are all machine/processor type descriptions. Since you have a
Dell, you likely have a i386 type processor - so you'll want to get the
images for your processor (Debian supports several different CPU
architectures).

>  in the URL http://www.us.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/ under official images

jigdo is a marvelous way (I think) to get the files - but you probably
will not need anymore than the first or second CD image(s) if you have
a permanent (and fast) internet connection. Personally, I opted for a
jigdo download of the first DVD of 'etch' (aka testing) and used that
to install from  - and secondarily as a source to install packages from
(there's quite a lot on the DVD, so it can go there first before going
out to the Net).

Disclaimer: I am not a dual-booter - and probably never will be. :() So
I'm not the best person to ask about those questions :).

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.