Re: kanotix HD installation

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:14:16 +0000
"B.Hoffmann" <dark.project@virgin.net> wrote:

> I don't intend to flame anybody's favourite OS or distribution, but
> before you go for Mepis read this
> http://madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=6404 for some additional
> information.

FUD. Or so it seems to me, after reading that page.

I really can't seem to see what this guy's beef is. I've seen worse,
and I even went ahead and watched the flash video, and I'm not about to
knock mepis in any way close to what this guy did. Sure, there are
alternatives, and perhaps the installer had a few glitches (f.e.,
trying to insist on a samba workgroup even if the person unchecked that
box) - but it seems to have gone OK - unless of course the system just
hangs and he just didn't run out of movie film :) at the last minute.

I did install mepis (about 1.5 yrs ago - circa september 2004).
Scrapped mandrake/mandriva in favor of mepis. For me, I had no issues
with their HD install. Maybe it's gotten worse. And I spent quite a bit
of time with mepis, but at the end (a few months ago) I decided to try
again, this time just by using debian testing --- after using mepis as
more or less a springboard to "mostly" upgrade to a sarge system, but I
had packages from sarge/etch/unstable mixed and it proved ultimately to
be less than desirable trying to manage it all.

> Why not go for Debian itself (speaks the man who's currently using
> Ubuntu). Or Kubuntu.

ubuntu/kubuntu is nice too - but it's all about choice. I haven't tried
actually to do an install off of kubuntu. knoppix/kanotix is supposedly
getting better at doing the hd installs from the live media (more so
knoppix, since it purports to put sarge on the HD).

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.