Re: CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G

Hi Tim,

you accidentally replied to my personal email address instead of
debian-user. I copy your message to the list so that everyone can follow
the discussion. (If your mail program does not have a "reply-to-list"
function you can use "reply-to-all" and delete the original poster's
address field.)

Hornsby, Tim wrote:
Hi Florian,

It
(CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G)
appears to be commented out.

Can I modify this file directly for a change then reboot?

Or is this a file that's created for the kernel build?

This file is just a copy of the config file which was used to compile
the kernel you are running. Changing this file now will have no effect
whatsoever on your kernel. If you want to enable CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G you
have to compile your own kernel after installing the packages
"kernel-package" and "kernel-source-2.6.8".

We recently had a nice discussion about recompiling a kernel to activate
HIGHMEM64G. It includes a "crash-course" introduction to the process,
written by Matt Zagrabelny, which should give you a good start:

(This thread is about kernel 2.4.27, but the steps are essentially the
same for 2.6.8.)

Regards,
            Florian