switch from Twinview to regular without restarting X?

I'm pretty sure I saw a topic like this go by within the last couple of months, but I couldn't find it. Apologies for any repeating, and feel free to just point me to an older thread for answers (of course).

I'm running on a laptop with nvidia drivers (1.0-8174). I have Twinview working very well, along with the ability to suspend (so that I can remove the laptop from the port replicator without powering down). However, when I do that, I want to switch from Twinview to regular mode (so I get more than half my screen!).

I think the simplest way to accomplish it would be to switch TwinViewOrientation between RightOf (for dual screens) to Clone. Is there any way to do this without stopping and restarting X? If I have to stop and restart X (and restart all my apps at that point) there really isn't much advantage over just powering down and back up again (except for a small speed increase).

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
Proper treatment will cure a cold in seven days, but left to itself, a cold will hang on for a week. -- Darrell Huff