Re: X Windows Fonts with Symbols? - Thanks

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:12:42PM -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 08:50:10PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > I would like to write some text which includes the symbols for Spades,
> > Hearts, Diamonds and Clubs.  I know that some years ago I had a word
> > processor with fonts which included these symbols but now I can't find
> > any.  I used xfontsel to examine the symbol and dingbats fonts with no
> > success.  Thinking I was missing something I wrote a couple of lines of
> > C++ to display the ascii characters from 40 to 255 but it didn't show
> > anything beyond character 127 - presumably because I haven't yet figured
> > out how to change fonts in the program.
> >
> > I'll struggle with this some more tomorrow but if I am missing something
> > obvious I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
> > Specifically, I have started learning Perl-Tk from the widget program
> > and the man page and I would like to write text on the canvas widget
> > which includes the playing card symbols.
> >
> > Tom George
> Hi Tom,
> I am aware of 2 choices: 'symbols' font or using UTF-8 unicode symbols.
> cheers,
> Kev
> --
Thanks, Kev.  I rewrote my character display program in Perl where I was
able to select different fonts.  In the font Symbol I found characters
199 -202 were Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts and Spades.  Amazingly -to me at
least - xfontsel shows none of these characters although it does display
some of the subsequent special characters.
Tom