Re: accidental firewall

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 12:06:59PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > THis is really stupid.  I think I accidentally installed a firewall when
> >all I wanted is IP masquerading.  How can I find out which firewalling
> >package I mught have installed.
>
> Did you install ipmasq?  What problems are you having?
> --
> John Hasler

Yes.  I now know, thanks to you and aptitude, that it was ipmasq that I
installed.

Problems?  I ran a script containing a pile of iptables commands and it did not
seem to be having an effect.  Reading the documentation for ipmasq, I see that
its configuration overwrites the effects of my script inder a variety of
cirsumstances.

I'm now faced with
  either (1) either purging ipmasq
  of (2) figuring out how to tell it to do things like
    rerouting all incoming port 80 (whether from the internet or the lan)
        packets to 172.25.1.11:80
    rerouting all incoming packets on port 3724 and ports 6881 through 6999 to
        172.25.1.8
    blocking all packets coming in on interface 216.138.195.194 and apparently
        originating from network 172.25.* (any such are fraudulent)
  and such like.

Removing ipmasq seems easier at the moment, since I already have a script to use
instead.  Is there some kind of tool that manages the ipmasq configuration?  Is
it easier to use than using iptables directly?  Does it run in text-mode?  This
is a text-mode-only machine.  ( i.e., X-free instead of Xfree :-) )

-- hendrik