[workaround] vi trying to connect to X

Hello!

When I "su" to root and start "vi", a bunch of these messages appear:
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

Chris Howie explained:
vim tries to connect X for access to the X clipboard.

:help x11-selection

I think this is not a clever thing to do. Obviously, when I enter 'vi' in a shell, I do not want to use the X11 GUI in any what. If I wanted to, I'd enter 'gvim'.

This problem only appears when I "su" to root. To fix it, I created a vim configuration file /root/.vimrc containing the following line:
set clipboard=exclude:.*

As described in :help options, this has the same effect as using the -X argument on the command line (which fixes this problem, too).

Cheers
Daniel Kabs
--
Refactor, don't archive! - SamHasler - 28 Aug 2004 - twiki.org