Dovecot & Squirrelmail problem (115: Operation now in Progress)

    Recently I moved my mail/web services from one machine to another.  I
moved over all relevant configuration and data files.  Exim/SA/ClamAV are all
playing nice.  Dovecot works fine with Thunderbird.  However I am having an
annoying problem with Squirrelmail.  After entering my login information I get
the following error message:

ERROR
Error connecting to IMAP server: tls://localhost.
115 : Operation now in progress

    syslog reports at the time of this attempt:
Mar 28 16:26:05 potmos dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected: rip=127.0.0.1,
lip=127.0.0.1, TLS

    When I configure squirrelmail to use plain auth it hangs and eventually
dovecot times out and closes down the connection.  At that point Squirrelmail
dutifully tells me that dovecot closed down the connection.

    I've purged and reinstalled dovecot several times to no avail.  All
permissions look fine.  I'm at a loss as to what could be the problem.
Several searches on Google don't yield any useful hints.