Re: locked out from gdm - input field greyed out

B.Hoffmann wrote:

[...]

Above did not work and it is continuing to report that 'circles' could
not be loaded (this is the error I get) for graphical login, that's why
it's reverting back to standard greeter. Boxes in that one still greyed
out.

Tried to start gnome-session from the command line after logging in and
get "Gtk-WARNING**:cannot open display:"

Is there a way to edit gdm.conf from the command line? And how to
display the file for editing?

You need to edit the file /etc/gdm/gdm.conf. From your question I get
the impression that you know this already, but that you are unfamiliar
with the standard text editors. You could use vi or joe after having a
look at the tutorials on NewbieDOC:
http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Articles#Text_editing

A different approach to solve your problem might be to try to reinstall
gdm with the standard configuration files which are included in the
Debian package. The following command will do that (as root)

apt-get --reinstall install gdm

It should detect that the configuration files have been changed and
offer you a dialog with the option to replace them with the ones from
the package.

Regards,
           Florian