Re: a question on motherboard replacement - audio problem

nunoauboulot@netscape.net wrote:
Sumo Wrestler wrote:
Save the list of modules before using alsaconf like so: $ lsmod > mods1
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_intel8x0           36140  3
[...]
I can see that the following lines have different numbers in the column "Used by", and the differences are:

Module Size Used by (before) Used by (after) snd_intel8x0 36140 3 0 snd_mixer_oss 19904 2 snd_pcm_oss 1 snd_pcm_oss snd_pcm 97480 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss snd 57380 12 9 soundcore 10336 3 snd,saa7134 2 snd,saa7134 unix 28660 714 664

Once you find out what the offending modules are, it should be easier
for you to find out what process is causing the loading of those modules.
I'm sorry but it's not easy to me to interpret these differences in order to tell what are the offending modules...

$ diff mods1 mods2
< snd_intel8x0           36140  3
---
snd_intel8x0           36140  0
5,6c5,6
< snd_mixer_oss          19904  2 snd_pcm_oss
< snd_pcm                97480  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss
---
snd_mixer_oss          19904  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                97480  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss
13c13
< snd                    57380  12
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,s
---
snd 57380 9
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,s
31c31
< soundcore              10336  3 snd,saa7134
---
soundcore              10336  2 snd,saa7134
58c58
< unix                   28660  714
---
unix                   28660  664

In every case, it seems that sound modules are less used after you've
done alsaconf than before. Let's put the pieces of the puzzle together:
Before using alsaconf, you've got messed up sound in both Gnome events
and applications. After using alsaconf, fewer processes are using the
sound system, and you get good sound in applications and no sound for
Gnome events.

It "sounds" (heavy pun) like the sound system for Gnome events is
conflicting with the sound system for applications. Using alsaconf
somehow disables the Gnome events, so you get good sound in
applications. What you want to do is to get both applications and Gnome
events to use the same sound system, oss, esd, arts or whatever.

And something in your /etc/modules.conf may be messed up.
Here's the contents... again, I can't seem to find what's messed up here...
[...]

I got distracted; it's not the modules; it's the processes that use them.

If you look at the diff file above, you'll see that the number of unix
sockets decreases after you've used alsaconf. Use netstat to find out
what processes are using those sockets. You could also use lsof (don't
send me the output!)

My highly uneducated theory is that the Gnome events are trying to use oss, and the applications are trying to use alsa. While you can change the default sound sink for applications using the gnome-control-center, you might have to use the gconf configuration db utility to change it for the events.

And that's enough guesses for one post :)