Re: Netlimiter liike tool

Alright, I'm going to chalk all this up to simple communications issues. In that email is arguably a flawed method of human interaction as we miss all kinds of things and frequently mis-interpret what others really mean.

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:30:33 -0800
Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:

>     Uhm, a few did.  Point is as a regular reader and writer on this list it
> pretty much goes without saying that if the answer I am looking for exists in
> either apt, man or Google and takes less than a complex search to find I
> wouldn't be asking my question.  I am well aware of what to do prior to asking
> questions and the verbosity of my post should be a huge hint that I have done
> some research.

nothing in your original post suggests to me that you did much research, other than

> Yeah, I could do it with iptables and a whole slew of deep magic.

which may more may not really suggest any research on your part.

You are asking us to assume that you've done the background work. We all know what happens when you assume (poor Uma Thurmond). Regardless of your history on this list, we don't know what you've done unless you tell us.

>     The reason I asked the question here is because searches, as good as they
> are, do not always turn up every gem out there.  I find Google a pain in the
> butt most times not because it turns up too few matches but that it turns up
> too many; often 10-20 hits relating to the same effective page (IE, multiple
> related postings in a forum) so what I am looking fore is hidden dozens, if
> not hundreds, of pages back.  So asking in an appropriate forum *after* said
> search is done is a backstop to where if someone is personally familiar with
> something and knows where it is they can chime up.

again, where in your original post (or in this lastest post for that matter) is there a reference to you having searched and not found what you were looking for? Where does it say -- "I've looked at the following packages and they don't suit my needs, anything else out there that I'm missing? " or something to that effect.

> > You're right, it was a very simple request. But if
> > such a simple request still runs to a dozen thread entries, with you at
> > every turn saying "that's not good enough", then "write your own tool"
> > would seem to be the only logical end point.
>
>     The problem is none of the answers really addressed my request.  In a
> sentence is there something like Netlimiter for Linux?  Pointing me traffic
> shaping is not answering that question.  Pointing me to a mod of Apache when
> Apache was an example is not answering that question.  Pointing me to Google
> with search phrases that turn up the above is not answering that question.  I
> mean, good god, at least when I pull the snarky "Did you do a Google search"
> *I* run a reasonable search (or two, sometimes three) to see what comes up
> with reasonable 3-5 word searches.  If the answer for the *question asked*
> does not appear then maybe, just maybe, they ran those searches and the answer
> they're looking for isn't there.

you are again asking us to make assumptions about what you have done. How can we know this? "maybe, just maybe"?

your other reply has just come in as I write this, so I'll end this here with a simple. sorry it didn't work out for you. We've both agreed that its a breakdown and what you see as specific pointed questions with implied background I see as one general question with no implications as to what you've done. So it goes. I feel for you and you're frustration, really I do. have a good day.

cheers