Re: Where to start

check this very good debian help website really usefull for all the users and admins http://www.debianhelp.co.uk

if you are looking for installation http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/install.htm

hope this helps

Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk> wrote:
Rocky Ou wrote:

> Hey list... I'm going to install Debian sid on my Dell inspiron 2200
> laptop to make it a dual-boot machine. Can any of you give me some
> suggestions regarding to the following issues before I dive into
> installation process?
>
> 1. I have ADSL access at the normal speed of 50kB/S. Do I need to
> download full set CD? I saw somebody says Just need to download
> few of them. Which CD should I download? If you could give me a
> URL for downloading the necessary CDS, I would really appreciate it?
> 2. Besides back up important info under Windows XP, What are the
> issues I must address?
> 3. I want to have a place where both Windows and Debian can have
> access, How can I do it if it is possible?
> 4. Right now it seems Unstable (sid) does not have CD image to
> downlod. Can I use Testing CD to install and change the
> sources.list after Debian is runing on my machine?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!

If you are new to Debian, you might want to look at these first:

http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Debian_basic_features
http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Installing_Debian_on_a_small_partition
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Broadband_-_setting_up_an_ethernet_ADSL_modem/router

If your ADSL modem is USB rather than ethernet, have a look at
http://www.linux-usb.org
http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/

Hth,
Chris.