Re: useless totem

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:38:25PM +0000, B.Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> is it just me or is totem really quite useless as a player? Most times I
> try and run something with it it just comes up with 'no input plugin
> found' or 'cannot handle xxxstream', you know what I mean.
> That when xine installed on the same system plays all these files and
> more quite well.
> I mean totem plays some but by far not enough to justify its existence
> when compared to other players.
> This seems to be a constant thing in all distros certainly I have tried
> over the years.
> Why not just strip totem out of Gnome and hand it over to Xine?
>
> Sorry if it looks like heresy to some but it really just feels like a
> waste of space to me.

Are you using totem-gstreamer?  If so, that could be part of the
problem.  I've found gstreamer supports fewer types "out-of-the-box"
than does the alternative, totem-xine, which uses xine as the back-end.
I'm not sure which was the default when I installed, but totem-xine is
available for stable, testing, and unstable.  Another thing you might
have to do is install libdvdcss (for dvd's) and w32codecs -- but there
are legal issues with these so they're not part of the Debian proper.

Gstreamer can be made to recognise more media types by use of plugins,
too, btw, but I'm not sure which ones you'd need for which types of
media.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
Early to bed and early to rise and you'll be groggy when everyone else is