Re: Where to start

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:06:44 +0800
"Rocky Ou" <rocky2winnie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey list... I'm going to install Debian sid on my Dell inspiron 2200 laptop
> to make it a dual-boot machine. Can any of you give me some suggestions
> regarding to the following issues before I dive into installation process?

others have provided lots of good information. the only other thing I can suggest is burn yourself a knoppix disk and boot that puppy up first. you can solve all sorts of configure problems by getting knoppix to wrok first and make notes about what works before the debian install.
from the knoppix system you can do all kinds of nice things like get a working x window config file in case you botch that, also you can get info from lspci and lsmod that tell you specifically what hardware and modules are needed.

Then you'll have a handy knoppix disk floating around too in case you break something and need a rescue disk.

.02