Re: Where to start

Rocky Ou wrote:

Hey list... I'm going to install Debian sid on my Dell inspiron 2200 laptop to make it a dual-boot machine. Can any of you give me some suggestions regarding to the following issues before I dive into installation process?

   1. I have ADSL access at the normal speed of 50kB/S. Do I need to
      download full set CD? I saw somebody says Just need to download
      few of them. Which CD should I download? If you could give me a
      URL for downloading the necessary CDS, I would really appreciate it?
   2. Besides back up important info under Windows XP, What are the
      issues I must address?
   3. I want to have a place where both Windows and Debian can have
      access, How can I do it if it is possible?
   4. Right now it seems Unstable (sid) does not have CD image to
      downlod. Can I use Testing CD to install and change the
      sources.list after Debian is runing on my machine?

Thanks a lot in advance!

If you are new to Debian, you might want to look at these first:

http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Debian_basic_features
http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Installing_Debian_on_a_small_partition
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Broadband_-_setting_up_an_ethernet_ADSL_modem/router

If your ADSL modem is USB rather than ethernet, have a look at
http://www.linux-usb.org
http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/

Hth,
Chris.