[Fwd: Re: 2.6.16 and DVD drive]

Hello Gene!

> >I updated two days ago my laptop (Thinkpad T43) from 2.6.15.1 to
> > 2.6.16. Since then suspend-to-ram works but:
> >
> >First my dvd did not work. After remove the parameter ide1=noprobe
> > from menu.lst it works again but is dedect as atapi drive (/dev/hdc
not /dev/sr0)
> This is correct, the ide_scsi is fully deprecated.
Good to know

> > and has no dma support.
> This is not correct.  Can you turn it on with the appropriate hdparm
command?  ISTR I have something about that in my rc.local file, so lets
check:  No, its gone from there.  And there is nothing special in  my
/etc/fstab for /dev/hdc either.  Here, it Just Works(TM) and has had
since at least 2.6.15 possibly earlier.

> [root@coyote ooo]# hdparm -I /dev/hdc
[...]
> As can be seen, udma4 is in effect.  Maybe you should build a newer
kernel after checking those options in a make xconfig?  2.6.16 here
now, working fine.
I have to say that this laptop works with sata.
# hdparm -I /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:

ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
        Model Number:       MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-822S
        Serial Number:
        Firmware Revision:  1.61
Standards:
        Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
Configuration:
        DRQ response: 50us.
        Packet size: 12 bytes
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        DMA: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=240ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
HW reset results:
        CBLID- below Vih
        Device num = 1

And i cannot set dma:
# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

CU

  Michael

--
           Michael Ott, e-mail: michael@zolnott.de, www.zolnott.de
I am registered as user #275453 with the Linux Counter,