Another APT pinning problem

[Note: forwarded from the deity list, where it received no comments]

Using APT 0.5.28.6, I have just encountered another issue:

I have maradns pinned to unstable with a priority of 600. I prepared
an NMU yesterday and installed it. Now APT propose to downgrade!:

  wall:~# apt-get upgrade
  [...]
  The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
    maradns

  wall:~# apt-cache policy maradns
  maradns:
    Installed: 1.2.03.3-1.1
    Candidate: 1.2.03.3-1
    Package Pin: 1.2.03.3-1
    Version Table:
  *** 1.2.03.3-1.1 600
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
      1.2.03.3-1 600
          -10 http://debian.ethz.ch sid/main Packages
      1.0.27-1 600
          500 http://debian.ethz.ch sarge/main Packages

apt_preferences(1) says that APT "Never downgrades unless the
priority of an available version exceeds 1000.". It goes on:

  More rarely, the installed version of a package is more recent
  than any of the other available versions. The package  will not
  be  downgraded when apt-get install some-package or apt-get
  upgrade is executed.

Since maradns/unstable is pinned to 600 (and the rest of unstable to
-10), it should *never* downgrade unless I ask it to. What's going
on?

`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

(a)bort, (r)etry, (p)retend this never happened