Re: Re: Ctrl-Alt-Fx won't switch between virtual consoles after Sarge->Etch

On Tuesday, 21.03.2006 at 10:03:01 +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:

[...]

My feeling is that the problem is more fundamental than KDE config, as
you also suggested.  This is confirmed, because:

(a) terminal switching attempts fail when using xdm, gdm and kdm as the
login manager.  This includes attempts to terminal switch from the login
screen itself;

I agree, that is an important observation.

(b) after using 'chvt 2' as root from a xterm, I *am* able to use the
usual key combo Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to the X session.

You could try to login to kdm as root, after changing the default
"AllowRootLogin=false" in kdmrc. If switching would suddenly work in
that case, it would suggest that the problem might have something to do
with file/device access permissions.

Another very basic thing to check would be whether a new user account
can use VT switching or not. That would at least tell you if the problem
is due to a system-wide configuration or your regular user's profile.

As I suspectewd, a fresh user gets the same symptoms.

Thanks for your continued help Florian.  I'm going to stick a link to
this discussion on the bug report...

You probably tried this already, but make sure that the problem is still
there if you use the open "nv" driver, or even the generic "vesa"
driver, instead of the proprietary one from nVidia. (Otherwise everybody
will just blame the closed driver, and they might be right...)

For the record: I use an nVidia GeForce2 MX 100 with the closed "nvidia"
driver module (version 8178) and Xorg 6.9.0.dfsg.1-4. In this
configuration VT switching works for me without problems.

Regards,
           Florian