latex pdfetex elatex

Hello,
I was unable to obtain dvi files with the latex program from tetex-bin testing
package (it was a symbolic link towards pdfetex that seems to refuse all my kind
of "--output-format dvi" commands).
Thus I downgrade all the tetex package into stable version and then when trying
to use latex it fails with the following error message:

This is e-TeX, Version 3.14159-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5)
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

After reading the faq and recompiling all the fmt format: same consequences.

!!!!!!> But when I try elatex, IT WORKS. Therefore latex, elatex are symlinks
towards the same program etex!
Thus I conclude that somehow etex analysis the way the program is launched,
which is a bit obfuscating for me.
In the same manner, pdfetex which was working on my testing version, now does
not work anymore but pdflatex does.
I finally fix my config with an alias from latex to elatex.
I find it not pretty, but for the moment I can have both dvi and pdf generated
which is very nice.

Is there anywhere a good description of what etex does in which version ?
The manual pages seems to say that all I tried should have worked, but it didn't.
Thanks and I hope that my workaround would be usefull for some other debian users.

Manuel