Re: backing up a drive

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:46:15 -0600
Mark Petersen <mtp@tilted.com> wrote:

> At 03:32 PM 3/20/2006, you wrote:
> >I want to make an exact backup of a hard drive (copy one drive to another). It
> >contains a program who's copy protection checks changes to the
> >system so unless
> >I can restore it exactly the program will stop running (it's a veterinary
> >clinic software so I don't think that there is a free alternative)
>
> There's a few ways to do this, such as 'dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc'

Will this work if the drives are not of the same size? (I want to backup the
drive so that I can restore it later if there is a problem)

> but are you sure it doesn't check the physical HD serial number or

I'm not sure, it's for my veterenarian and there is no more support for the
program, they want her to upgrade to the next program and she doesn't want to
spend the money. The problem is that the machine is running windows 98 (not se)
and doesn't recognize the new cdrw. I want to make sure I can restore
everything before I make any damage. I have an extra hard disk so I thought to
use that. The new one is larger then the one installed.

> anything else that will keep this from working?  Why can't you
> discuss ahead of time and get a key re-issued if things change too much?

Like I said, there is no one to talk to, and it seems that they made some
changes to the file format (without changing the major version BTW) so the last
version doesn't work with her files.

>  at the Tel-Aviv University CC.

 This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System
 at the Tel-Aviv University CC.