Re: backing up a drive

On 2006-03-20, Micha Feigin penned:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:46:15 -0600 Mark Petersen <mtp@tilted.com>
> wrote:
>

>> There's a few ways to do this, such as 'dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc'
>
> Will this work if the drives are not of the same size? (I want to
> backup the drive so that I can restore it later if there is a
> problem)

I seem to recall that it doesn't.  I believe that dd will cause the
partition to think it's the size of the original partition.  So it
"works," but you can only use as much space as the original hard drive
had.

There may be a way around this limitation or to fix it after
performing dd.

--
monique

Ask smart questions, get good answers: