Re: dist-upgrade problem

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 08:40:01PM +0100, goofy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> During the boot process the BIOS begins by scanning the available
> disks/drives, etc.  Since the machine is setup to boot from a floppy first
> and then a drive, I receive the following (there's no boot floppy in the
> drive):
>
> Searching for Boot Record from Floppy...Not Found
> Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0..OK
>
> LI
>

> That's all.  Before the dist-upgrade, the "LI" string above used to print
> out "LINUX Kernel loading..." and then would begin booting the kernel.
> Now it doesn't do that.  That's why I'm thinking something must be corrupt
> with the MBR because it is finding the disk.
>
> There are 2 disks setup as master/slave.  The master is IDE-0 and the
> slave is IDE-1, so it's trying to boot from the correct disk.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.... :-)
Hi anonymous user 'goofy',
a common approach is to have a utility cd aka live cd like knoppix.
Which this in a cd drive, you would boot to run level 2 or the gui if
you like. From there you would use 'chroot' to access the root partition
of the drive and make sure to hand-mount the root partition so that it
is 'rw'.  once you are at the new root prompt, you can reissue the
appropriate lilo or grub command. This is sometimes all that is needed.
cheers,
Kev