Re: upgrade fails with X's

Pelusa Vali wrote:

>i changed my pc and tried upgrade mi debian sarge to testing version using apt-get dist-upgrade, everything seems to be ok, but now, i cann't use gnome, when installing upgrade system says there's a problem with genrtc and that couldn't set gnome because of libgnome2-perl was missing.  so i installed it

You installed what? "libgnome2-perl"? And how did you install it?

> and tried dpkg --configure -a and later dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 but system says /etc/X11/X is not executable.

This sounds like not all the packages necessary for X were
installed/configured. Do you know get any errors from "apt-get
dist-upgrade", and if so, what are they?

>  so i tried putting in /etc/inittab this:
>id:3:initdefault

This is meaningless, unless you've changed runlevel 3 away from the
default. In a default Debian installation, runlevels 2 through 5 are
identical, which is different than some other distros (which often
confuses converts from those distros).

> and also this:
>ln -s /dev/null /etc/X11/X
>readlink /etc/X11/X | md5sum > /var/lib/xfree86/x.md5sum

I have no idea why you would do this. Granted, I'm not a nix-head, but
this makes no sense to me.

>dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>but everything fails, always system shows /etc/X11/X is not executable.

Exact text of errors please. But actually, I'd rather have the text of
the apt-get command above, rather than this dpkg-reconfigure command.
You might also try using aptitude rather than apt-get.

--
Kent