Re: Can't start X

Mike Smith wrote:

> Oh, forgot to mention - the X server was crashing because of signal
> 11, which according to kill -l is a segfault. (which is bad.)
>
> On 3/17/06, *Mike Smith* <mmiikkee13@gmail.com
> <mailto:mmiikkee13@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     -Etch
>     -haven't checked yet, I know I have an Intel 810 video card.
>     -with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>     (I tried both the i810 and vesa drivers, with and without fb.)
>

>     On 3/17/06, *Roberto C. Sanchez* < roberto@familiasanchez.net
>     <mailto:roberto@familiasanchez.net>> wrote:
>
>         Mike Smith wrote:
>> I installed Debian and can't get X to start. It crashes with
>         "***INVALID
>> MEM ALLOCATION***" errors (can't paste exact errors, I'm in
>         Windows
>> now).
>

>(WW) ****INVALID MEM ALLOCATION**** b: 0xffe80000 e: 0xffefffff correcting

This is just a warning ("WW"); I wouldn't worry too much about it at the
moment.

>(II) I810(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 512 kB

But this is very interesting. I suspect your computer's BIOS has the
shared video memory set really low, like .5 MB. Go into the BIOS and see
if you can find a setting to change that.

Or you can reconfigure X to use a very low resolution and color depth,
to see if that makes a difference. (But you won't like the results.)

--
Kent