Re: Debian DVD Cebit-Edition: What is the password for root ?

Kent West wrote:
Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

Hello dear maintainers,

I have got a Debian-DVD at the Cebit in Hannover. Installing went fine, but it does not ask, what password root should have. However, I saw that there already a password for root exists. What is it ? Can you please tell me ?

Yes, I could delete the password using a lifefilesystem like Knoppix in the /etc/shadow.

Or is this a bug ?

Don't have a clue, but I'd try "sudo passwd root" and see what happens.

I am using Kunbuntu, which is like ubuntu, which doesn't allow root logins directly. If you want to use commands using 'root' permissions you can ether use
$ sudo <command>
or you can use
$ sudo su -
in each cash it will ask for the user password before letting the command execute.

Regards Neil.