Re: Debian DVD Cebit-Edition: What is the password for root ?

Hi!

* Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de> [060316 09:31]:

> I have got a Debian-DVD at the Cebit in Hannover. Installing went fine, but it
> does not ask, what password root should have. However, I saw that there
> already a password for root exists. What is it ? Can you please tell me ?

No, I can't ;)

If using the preseeded installation method (the default on the cebit
dvd) we will set a root password (IIRC something like "gehtehnicht").
But disable it during the installation for obvious reasons ;)

The user created on the system during installation will get fill sudo
privileged, therefore you don't need a root password.

If you would like to set a new root passward you can do it easily by
login in as the first user, starting a terminal and running "sudo passwd
root".  This will activate the root-account again with the password
you'll enter.

> Or is this a bug ?

It seems that we forgot to document that properly; so it's some kind of
bug.

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander

--