Re: Outsider's observation upon the pros and cons of Debian

On Sunday 12 March 2006 11:21, Mike McCarty wrote:
> I'd say that one of the cons to Debian is the way this list
> is administered. To put it another way, the quote above
> translates in my mind into
>
> "Nothing is going to change, so if you aren't happy with the
> setup of debian-user then Debian probably isn't the distro
> for you, and you should consider using a different one."

The original text is in English, so it doesn't "translate" into any other
meaning.   You're taking things far too personally if that is how you took
Debian's position on mailing lists.  So far, I don't even know what that is,
since you haven't explained it: Nothing has yet differentiated your post from
any of the hundreds of "I'm new to Debian and therefor automatically GHOD OF
DEBIAN" posts made to debian-user in the near-decade I've been on the list.

> Since the means of support from experts is the list, the
> distribution and the list are inseparable in my mind.

So just write off your local LUG mailing lists, #debian on IRC and local paid
consultants because you have a problem with how the mailing lists are run.
Kind of like scrapping a Sherman tank because it got a door ding...

> I hope that helps some here understand how others see the list
> and the Debian distribution a little more clearly, and perhaps
> appreciate a little more what considerations enter into what
> makes any given distribution the one of choice for those who
> are considering which, if any, version of Linux to use.

Your idea is obviously counter to what works:  Debian has been around since
close to the beginning, you're new and couldn't be bothered to search the
archives to find out why the lists are set up the way they are.

> [1] I have deliberately made a point not to know who made
> that comment. I'm not interested in personalities, I'm
> interested in the list and the distribution. I hope that
> this message does not spawn a flame war, but rather
> encourages introspection.

i think more than anything, it exposed your own brute-force and ignorance
approach to getting your way to a worldwide audience.  I hope that's how you
want people to think of you, since that is what you're projecting.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber