Re: Q about debian based specialty distro

On Thursday 16 March 2006 02:28, Kevin Mark wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:44:20AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Specifically the distro is BDI-4.30, which is optimized for computer
>> numeric machine control, uses kernel 2.6.12-magma as its realtime
>> kit.
>>
>> The problem is one of gfx speeds, DRI is not being enabled for some
>> reason although the XFree86.0.log says it was loaded, but glxinfo
>> says its not enabled.
>>
>> Does anyone have a cluex4 as to howto get this working so a decent
>> update rate for the full color gfx portions of the emc2/axis control
>> gui can be obtained?  I'm getting, at best, maybe 2 updates a second
>> in the cutting trace portion of this this gui's interface.  Thats
>> not enough even for visual accuracy.  Needs 10-20x a second redraws.
>>
>> Also, whats the name of the xconfigurator used on debian systems?
>
>Hi Gene,
>I was googling something about computer controlled cutting machines a
>month or 2 ago. My dad was a machinist but didnt get into the cnc
> stuff. But I was interested to learn about it. from what I recall,
> this is very specific stuff and they have to make many modifications
> to the distro to make it work and thus you should go to those list
> related to this disto. At least that was my impression.
>But if you have an an issue like graphics setup, we could try to help
> as long as you dont mind the end result not working with BDI. This
> seems to be a relatively new and uncharted area. If you get it to
> work, definatley create a HOWTO. It would be interesting and valuable
> to read about this working with debian.
>Cheers,
>Kev

The major hack involved is getting the rtai compiled for a new kernel
version, which AIUI, once one gets the hang of it, is not that big a
deal.  Everything else is pretty straightforward ./configure && make &&
make install or variations of that.  I can cvs up -dP in
the /home/gene/emc2 directory, then cd to the src subdir in the emc2
tree, do a "./configure --enable-run-in-place && make clean && make &&
sudo make setuid", cd .., and type scripts/emc to run the new version
in less time than you fool around with getting a connection to
sourceforge's busted cvs server, which for some reason often takes an
up arrow, enter about 200 times to get a connection once.  In any
event, after finally getting cvs to work, its about 5 or 6 minutes to
test running the new version.

Since the distro's disk size is limited, a lot of the common 'user'
stuff isn't on the disk, but there is no reason one can't do an apt-get
update followed by an apt-get install vim (or whatever) when the
install and reboot are done.  Other than disk space, and with 105GB in
that particular box in 2 disks, thats not a problem. :)

Getting the X fully working is however.

As I'm not that fam with the 'debian' way, what does debian use for its
X configurator?  I'm currently setup for a full 32 bit screen mode, and
I'm told that 16 bit modes are considerably faster and have all the
colors needed for this application, but I have NDI howto go about this
on a debian box, hence the question.  I don't even know if the glxinfo
report I'm getting is valid when the shell doing the querying is an ssh
-X shell:

gene@shop:~/emc2$ glxinfo
name of display: localhost:10.0
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
display: localhost:10  screen: 0
direct rendering: No

In any event, the gfx updates lag on the machines own monitor about the
same as when logged in from here.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: